Fathers, spouses, old boyfriends, scent twins- they all have one thing in common: they (and us) create memories. Nothing is more emotionally triggering than scent. Think of your father's old cologne from the 70s (did he wear Old Spice? Did he later graduated to the original Polo?) or the Drakkar Noir of your first boyfriend. Did you ever date a man who wore Creed Green Irish Tweed and made you think of Cary Grant (the story is that GIT was created for him)? Did your little brother drench himself in Axe before his first date? Maybe you had a great teacher or work mentor who used to wear Grey Flannel, or had your heart broken by a Chanel Égoïste fan (I did). The point is that it's not just our Shalimar that creates special moments.
Things have changed since the days of the ubiquitous bottle of Polo, and the choices are many. Here's my list of (very) memorable masculine scents for the unforgettable men in our lives. In no particular order:
1. Tauer Perfumes-Lonestar Memories
Smoky, strong and outdoorsy at times, warm leather, herbal with a hint of Lapsang Souchong. More interesting and sophisticated than the cowboy image.
2. Tom Ford Private Blend-Tuscan LeatherSoft, smooth and as leathery as they come. Warm and inviting, evokes both a leather jacket and an old study full with leather-bound books.
An animalic patchouli like no other. Sweet and dangerous (especially if over-applied).
4. Serge Lutens-Gris Clair
Burnt lavender. A bit brooding, yet clean and crisp.
5. Guerlain-VetiverA great classic. Citrus top over green vetiver. Perfectly tasteful.
6. Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier-Iris Bleu GrisDry to the bone, earthy without being dirty.
7. JAR-ShadowDamp and mysterious. A visit to dark cellars and forgotten attics.
8. Frederic Malle-Vetiver ExtraordinaireDry and bitter vetiver, yet still green. A scent to take over the boardroom before going out to take Manhattan.
9. Hermes-Terre d'HermesPerhaps the most popular in this bunch, yet somewhat controversial. Orange peel and minerals, crisp and strong.
10. Comme des Garcons-Monocle Scent One: HinokiIncense, evergreens, a forest floor.
Please visit Perfume Shrine for more unforgettable masculine fragrances.