Bright red lips are my go-to these days. Probably because I have so many options and variations tempting me every time I look through my drawers, making me want to put everything on. We all should have more than one face so we can wear all the makeup. The two looks I'm showing here are ones I've worn to recent industry event. The first was a masquerade-inspired party, so I also had a mask on for half of the evening. I don't have a good photo of that, other than a silly selfie I took in the car and posted on my Instagram. I copied this look by Lisa Eldridge, because she created it for a high-fashion event that included a lace mask. All blunders are, obviously, mine.
The Face Shop Glow Date Prep Butter
YSL Touce Eclat foundation in B50 Honey
Clinique Airbrush concealer in 02 around the nose and wherever I tend to get a bit red, because a red lip enhances every imperfection.
NARS Light Reflecting Powder (loose).
- Good old Fergie primer.
- MAC Paint Pot in Soft Ochre as a base color. I did it because it was Lisa's choice, but must admit that out of all the Paint Pots I have I find Soft Ochre to be the driest and least effective. I should have gone with a Bobbi Brown cream shadow, something like Bone or Shore.
- A very old Dior single 1-Couleur eye shadow in Beige Imprint. It's long discontinued and I've forgotten how wonderful the formula and the finish used to be. It made me go and buy some of the newest Dior singles that I'll show you next week. In any case, I applied it exactly the way Lisa did with her Pale Barley (don't ask why I don't have that one): in the crease and along the bottom lashes.
- I also followed Lisa's method of tracing the top eyeliner with a pen, Hourglass Script (discontinued), and followed with a cream-gel formula, NARS Black Valley. I didn't extend the liner as far high and out as Lisa had, because my features can't support the drama.
The pigs you saw crossing the New Jersey sky that day were the result of me wearing false eyelashes. Again, I did as Lisa advised and used a shorter strip, Ardell Accents in 301. I applied them using Revlon Lash Glue (Duo tends to get messy in my hands) and the Japonesque lash applicator.
Buxom Lash mascara gave the finishing touch.
Becca Moonstone Liquid.
Chanel Rose Temptation blush (discontinued. Rose Ecrin will do just as well).
Anastasia Beverly Hills Starlight Highlighter, because why not?
I started my prepping along with my skincare using my beloved Bite Agave mask.
Le Metier de Beaute Dualistic lip liner in Rose
Bobbi Brown lipstick in Sultry Red (limited. Bobbi's Luxe Lip Color in Retro Red might be close).
I bought the mask on amazon as a pack of four different shapes and chose the one that looked best. I couldn't make the husband wear one, though.
Dress by DVF.
SotN was Mona di Orio Musc, which for some reason didn't work that evening. It was annoyingly powdery and the husband was not a fan at all.
A couple of weeks later I attended a beauty event that practically screamed for a red lipstick. I was happy to oblige.The problem was that it was a few days after I hurt my foot. I thought I'd be alright, but the pain made standing in front of the mirror and doing my makeup a kind of torture instead of the relaxing ritual it usually is. I was over the whole thing before I even started on my base, and the whole experience is filed under "No Fun" in my memory.
The Face Shop Glow Date Prep Butter
Albion Gel Mask foundation in 060
Cle de Peau concealer (almond)
By Terry Touche Velouette #3 Beige
I was reaching for my Shiseido loose powder to set things, by instead grabbed Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder. To add insanity, I finished my face with Hourglass Ambient powder (all three colors from the palette swirled together). I think a disturbance in the Force occurred that night.
Tom Ford Cocoa Mirage quad, plus Estee Lauder Pure Color Envy in Insolent Ivory.
Tony Moly black gel eyeliner along the lash line as well as for tightlining.
Essence Gel Waterproof Pencil in 04 Blue Lagoon on the lower waterline, because I felt a need for something bright. I love everything about this pencil: the teal color and the formula (made in Italy). A good spontaneous pick from Ulta.
Buxom Lash mascara. The samples keep procreating.
At that point I just needed to be done, so I grabbed the NARSissist Cheek Studio Palette and used stuff from there: the highlighter, Goulue blush, and blush #1 on top of Goulue to add some shimmer.
Rimmel Exaggerate lip liner in Red Diva
Tatcha Kyoto Red lipstick.
- A dress I bought on Amazon last year (it's the infamous weather forecaster dress. Google if you don't know what I'm talking about).
- Vintage earrings.
- SotN: Atelier d'Or Larmes du Desert over Aftelier Ancient Resins Elixir (a better combination has never been smelled)
- An excruciating pain.