It's been nearly two years since my previous Perfume Shopping Guide To NYC and a lot has changed. Stores have opened, closed, or changed their focus, while others have opened. The most notable is the transformation of Henri Bendel, which is getting rid of their beauty and perfume departments (among other things) as we speak*. Here's an updated list (I didn't include the obvious such as Sephora or the various drugstores, as my focus here is more on niche and luxury, or at least stuff you don't necessarily find at every mall across the country). Please comment if I've missed something:
The following perfume brands have their own boutiques:
- Annick Goutal- 397 Bleeker street. Visiting a Goutal boutique in Paris has always been a treat. Now NYC has its own, so we finally get an easy access to the body products as well as the full range of perfumes.
- By Killian- 804 Washington street in the Meatpacking District. The only place to get the exclusive Apple Brandy perfume.
- Jo Malone- 946 Madison Avenue and 330 Bleeker Street.
- Diptyque- 971 Madison Avenue and 377 Bleecker Street. Not just the full range of perfume, body, and home products, but also the limited distribution perfume such as Eau d'Elide and others.
- Atelier Cologne- 247 Elizabeth St. (also see below for Brooklyn)
- Le Labo- 233 Elizabeth Street. The perfumes will be bottled right in front of you and you'll get a personalized label. You can also find the Rose 31 laundry detergent here , the lotions, and the gel perfumes, as well as NYC exclusive Tuberose 40.
- Creed- 794 Madison Avenue
- Frederic Malle- 898 Madison Avenue and the new store on 94 Greenwich Avenue
- Bond No. 9- 897 Madison Avenue and 9 Bond Street
- Fresh- 872 Broadway
- Krigler- Plaza Hotel 1 West 58th Street
- Caron- 715 Lexington Avenue (second floor)
- Hermes-691 Madison Avenue (the Hermessence collection is boutique exclusive)
Independent perfume stores and what you will find there:
- Osswald (311 West Broadway)- An expert (and very friendly) team can help you navigate the gorgeous space that offers Parfumerie Generale, MPG, MDCI, Amouage, Arquiste, Maison Francis Kurdjian, Profumum Roma, Micallef, Etro, Biehl, Carner Barcelona, Clive Christian, Roja Parfums, Stephan Humbert Lucas 777, Marly, LM Parfums. Also: Kjaer Weis and Cle de Peau makeup and fabulous Swiss skincare.
- Aedes de Venustas (9 Christopher St)- Amouage, Byredo, Serge Lutens, L'Artisan, Frederic Malle, Arquiste, , Heeley, Agonist, Ambra di Venezia, Carthusia, By Killian, Costes, CdG, Eau d'Italie, Lubin, Rosine, The Different Company, Odin, Hors La Monde, Diptyque, Jovoy, and several others, including the store's own line which is highly acclaimed.
- Lafco/Santa Maria Novella (285 Lafayette Street)- SMN and Lorenzo Villoresi, Eau d'Italie. Also an excellent line of home fragrances and Claus Porto soaps.
- New London Pharmacy (246 eighth avenue)- Esteban, Etat Libre d'Orange, D.S. & Durga, Hilde Soliani, Balmain, Parfums de Nicolai, Molinard, MPG, Penhaligon's, CSP, Calypso Saint Barth, many more brands, lots of skin care and hair products. It might be called "New London" but it feels like a fabulous continental pharmacy.
- C.O. Bigelow (414 Sixth Avenue )- Tallulah Jane, Six Scents, Robert Piguet, 06130, Nasomatto, Malin+Goetz, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, Juliette Has A Gun, Jovoy, I Profumi di Firenze, Costes, Etat Libre d'Orange, Esteban, Diptyque, CSP, Carthusia, Bois 1920, Jacomo.
- Bergdorf Goodman- JAR, Roja Parfums, Amouage, Ramon Monegal (including a store exclusive fragrance), Creed, Tom Ford Private Blend, Serge Lutens, Donna Karan Collection, Maison Francis Kurkdjian, Guerlain, Chanel Les Exclusifs, By Killian, Christian Dior Collection Privee, Jean Patou, Chantecaille, Histoires de Parfums, Armani Prive, Jo Malone, YSL, Lancome (they stock the very limited La Collection, including the new oud).
- Barneys- Serge Lutens (including the entire exclusive bell jar collection), Frederic Malle, L'Artisan, Byredo, Diptyque, Heeley, Le Labo (including Tubereuse 40, the NYC exclusive), Rodin, Yosh, Apothia, Armani Prive, Arquiste, Balenciaga, Bois 1920, CdG, Nana de Bary, Naomatto, Maison Martin Margiela, The Different Company.
- Saks Fifth Avenue- Guerlain (including all the exclusives), Chanel, Clive Christian, Tom Ford Private Blend, Bond No. 9, By Killian, Creed, Penhaligon's, Armani, classic Dior, Dolce & Gabbana, Cartier.
Also of note:
- Zitomer (969 Madison Avenue)- an old-style perfume and beauty store, mostly luxury brands, beauty and candles.
- Chanel boutiques (for the Les Exclusifs and limited edition beauty)
- Tom Ford (845 Madison Avenue). They stock the Private Blend line.
Worth crossing the bridge:
- Twisted Lily- 360 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn. One of the best perfume stores I've ever been to, both in terms of selection and customer service. Tauer, Ramon Monegal, Serge Lutens, L'Artisan, Proveidence Perfume Company, Slumberhouse, Undergreen, Etat Libre d'Orange, Amouage, MFK, Mona do Orio, Tommi Sooni, Nicolai, Penhaligon's, Rouge Bunny Rouge (including the much-anticipated wonderful makeup line), Maria Candida Gentile, D.S. &Durga, Histoires de Parfums, Memoire Liquide, Arquiste, Charenton Macerations, A Lab On Fire, Carner Barcelona, Atelier de Geste, CB I Hate Perfume, Jardin d'Ecrivains, Parfums de Nicolai, Xerjoff, Smell Bent and more.
- Atelier Cologne- 357 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn. Right across the street from Twisted Lily. Very friendly service of the brand's friendly and well-constructed perfumes.
- CB I Hate Perfume- 318 Maujer Street, 3rd floor (between Waterbury & Morgan), Brooklyn. The gallery has relocated to somewhere in the bowels of Bushwick and is now by appointment only. I left it here in the "worth crossing" section because the perfumes are as wonderful as they've ever been and it's the only place in the city you can get the absolutes (all the other retailers only stock the water perfumes), but honestly? I'd just order online.
And one last note: Terminal 4 in JFK airport has a wonderful duty free area (newly renovated) that stocks several luxury lines from Prada exclusive collection and Armani Privee to Hugo Boss Black Label. They also have Hermes, Guerlain (including some boutique exclusives), L'artisan, and The Different company.
*As of today most of Henri Bendel's third party stock is on clearance at 40%. They take phone orders.