My first blue eye shadow was a gift from a high school friend. It was a no-name three color palette that included a chalky white, a frosty baby blue that looked a bit dated even in 1986, and a rich matte blue that was somewhere between cobalt and teal and had a workable texture. I used to wear it with a chocolate brown and a light bronze from another palette, certain that Cyndi Lauper would have been proud of me. Blue eye shadows have been a staple of my collection ever since. I love them all: navy, turquoise, aqua... you name them. I have the hardest time resisting blue in seasonal collections (see the latest one I got, YSLBleus Lumiere Palette Collector Summer 2014), but I'm just as likely to fall under the spell of a good single from a permanent line. I gathered my most used blue eye shadows here, and as much as I was trying to avoid discontinued and impossible to find products, I had to include the two Chanel items. There was just no way around it: the 2003 Jeans de Chanel is the only eye shadow quads I've purchased a backup in the last 15 years (the one you see here, which I opened around 2007 and still use). The single, Bois Bleu, was inexplicably discontinued a year or two ago. It's a beautiful and unique shade.
Here are my all-time favorite blue eye shadows in no particular order:
1. Dior Bleu de Paris 5 Couleurs ($60, at Sephora). Shimmery finish, silky texture. The second darkest is my most used.
2. La Prairie- Hematite ($45, at select department stores). A rare cadet blue with an elegant finish.
3 &6. Rouge Bunny Rouge - Mountain Bluebird & Mysterious Tinamou ($27.90, rougebunnyrouge.com) are exclusive to RBR website. They're shades of tropical seas with an iridescent finish.
4. Laura Mercier Sapphire Caviar Stick ($26, at the counters and lauramercier.com. I think this is my second or third one in this color (I'm definitely on my third Amethyst). It's that good.
5. The blue side from NARS Mad Mad World ($35, Sephora and narscosmetics.com. Press sample). Now, I don't use this parroty blue quite as often as the other ones, but when I do it makes me very happy.
7. Jeans de Chanel from Fall 2003. The four darker colors are nothing short of brilliant.
8. Chanel Bois Bleu (discontinued).
9. Ellis Faas Creamy Eyes E113 ($36 at Sephora. Press sample). Both the color and the texture are peerless. And you can see what Ellis has done with it here.
10. Kjaer Weis- Blue Wonder ($25 at Osswald NYC). Medium blue with a beautiful finish. The color is not quite like the discontinued Chanel, but if I had to choose a replacement that would be it.
Do you have a favorite blue eye shadow? Any recommendations?