Every semi-decent perfume brand has a hit or two that get people buying and buzzing. But there are also perfumes that for some reasons aren't being promoted and are rarely talked about on blogs and message boards. Here are ten such perfumes that I think deserve a second or a third chance. In no particular order, all of the perfumes on this list are currently in production:
1. Tauer Perfumes- Reverie Au Jardin. A summer afternoon in lavender and then some.
2. Estee Lauder- Azuree. Leather, leather, leather. I can't believe it's Lauder.
3. Serge Lutens- Fleurs de Citronnier. Musky blossoms. As pretty as they come.
4. Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier- Iris Bleu Gris. Hidden among the masculine line, a dry and crisp iris of exquisite quality.
5. Hermes- Rouge. A powdery oriental(ish) like they rarely make them nowadays.
6. Frederic Malle- Geranium Pour Monsieur. Mint and flowers, as unique as they come.
7. Robert Piguet- Visa. Fruity and leathery, larger than life, yet get lost in a line that offers Fracas and Bandit.
8. Annick Goutal- Quel Amour! A pink fruity floral with a lot of character and a beautiful dry-down.
9. Diptyque- Virgilio. Back after a few years' absence as a boutique exclusive. Wonderfully green and full of basil.
10. L'Artisan Parfumeur- Mechant Loup. What's not to love about hazelnut?
Photograph by Baron de Meyer.