I'm scheduling this post to be published while I'm attending tonight's FiFi Awards gala. It's a formal event (black tie optional), and while my dress is cocktail-length (a better fit for someone my height and proportions), I'm thinking about makeup, accessories and fragrance that are all about glamour. Here's a quick list of perfumes that as far as I'm concerned go well with an evening gown. In no particular order:
1. Guerlain Mitsouko and Shalimar. You can't beat the classics, especially in extrait.
2. Vero Profumo- Onda. It takes no prisoners.
3. Amouage anything, but especially Lyric Woman.
4. JAR Diamond Water. The name says it all.
5. Panthere de Cartier (extrait layered with the the EDP), because I wore it for my wedding.
6. Tango by Aftelier, for a mysterious air.
7. Robert Piguet Fracas, because it's the queen of tuberose. Get your date to wear Bandit.
8. Mona di Orio Nuit Noire. Of course.
9. Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque. This is what Uncle Serge wears when he's out on the prowl. Good enough for me.
10. Tauer Un Rose Chypree. Opulent and romantic, even if you're wearing three pairs of Spanx.
Photo of model Dorian Leigh in a Robert Piguet gown by Richard Avedon, 1949, myvintagevogue.com.